Tuesday, December 19, 2006

So I've been carrying Sprint's Moto KRZR K1m in my pocket for a week now and while it is a cool phone, I think it was implemented very poorly.

What is my number one complaint about most portable electronics? The same complaint I have about non-portable electronics: Not enough processing power. When I tried out Motorola's much touted Q smartphone, I couldn't believe that I would get the equivalent of a spinning hour glass to look at my contacts list. Wouldn't the designers figure out how much processor it would take to pull up a contact list on a what amounts to be a mobile phone? I guess not.

But I could figure in that the Q was more than a phone. It had a file system (a way too complicated file system with a shitty search function) and checked my email and surfed the web and ran 3rd party applications. So, ok, I guess when you take all of that into account, looking at a Window's version of the spinning beachball of death wasn't so bad.

But what is Moto's excuse when it comes to the KRZR. I'm still experiencing the 1 - 3 second wait time to pull up my contact list. There is still way too much lag going between my main screen into my contents folder. This lag in a small multimedia phone is hardly acceptable.

However, switching from my Treo 700p to the KRZR K1m has brought about one shining mark: Opera Mini. I had heard about this and tried to download it to my Treo, but always got some kind of Java error. Not on the KRZR. Opera Mini makes you never want to open the phones built in browser ever again. It's fast, it's skinnable, it's got a customizable opening page. It's everything you would want from a browser on your computer or on your phone. Point your mobile device to mini.opera.com and see what I mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home