Sunday, December 03, 2006

In my search for the perfect American keitai, I picked up Verizon's LG "Chocolate" (in black if you're wondering). I've been toying with going to Verizon specifically (and this is lame) becaue I really like the Samsung a990. So I'm picking a carrier because I like the phone, I'm not the first person to do that, am I? But before I drop all that cash on 3.2 megapixels in my pocket, I thought I'd pick up a cheaper phone (not free, goddamnit) and give Verizon a test drive before I commit.

My first impression of the Chocolate: I've never like this phone. Why get it than? I thought if I switch everybody over to Verizon than this would be the phone that I get my mom. It's also the cheapest one that isn't free and isn't a RAZR.

First "Ooooh" Moment: I really like the VZ Navigator feature and I couldn't wait to try that out. While still in the store, not more than five minutes after paying for the phone, I went to GIN and downloaded VZ Navigator. It installed itself without issue and was up and ready to go by the time I pulled out of my parking space. How was it? I was very impressed with the navigation service. The voice was loud and clear. The visual mapping was dead on. The routing was pretty good.

When I said "Oh Shit": Verizon makes you have to pay for friggin' everything! I tried to download and ring tone and it wanted me to subscribe to some service for a monthly charge. What? I just want Weezer on my phone, man. Wireless sync was $19.99 and is not very impressive. So far I've just got it (barely) syncing my email in my .Mac account.

What may end my trial period early: I'm going to give Verizon a fair shake. I was really hoping to have a handset that would let me check my email, tell me where everything is and what not, but I don't know if I want to pay so much for it. WTF? I'll give it a week or so and than hopefully Sprint will have the M610 out and I can check that one out.

Also, I just saw a videon on You Tube where Kevin Rose leaks some information about Apple's new iPhone. Comes in a 4GB and 8GB model. Touch screen. Slide-out keyboard. Two separate batteries - one for the iPod and one for the phone. Apparently to be available for any phone carrier. But if it's Cingular (which I think it will be) than I'm screwed because they charge $40+ a month for crappy UTMS data service for a regular handset. I don't pay half of that for Sprint's data - and I've got a Treo 700p.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home