Saturday, July 16, 2005

Macs and Their Owners

Most people won't remember Apple Computers "Think Differently" ad campaign.

I don't know which ran their respective print ads first, The Gap or Apple, but they were very similar. The Gap had a black & white picture of James Dean and white fonts reading "James Dean wore khakis"

Applel Computers had a more magnanimous take on this model. Apple showed b&w photos of Ghandi, Picasso, The Dalai Lama, etc. with the slogan "Think Differently" and the rainbow Apple.

I wonder if any of these people, being age apprpriate to have lived within the technological revolution of the early 70's to present, ever really used a Mac. I'm curious what Ansel Adams could have done with Photoshop. I wonder what Bob Dylan's music would have sounded like if he did all his recording and editing on a PowerBook or what Maria Callas's personal sound project would be. What would Spielberg's first project would have been had he had access to iMovie HD or Final Cut?

These are historical people who had their effect on either the world or at the very least their world.

I often wonder when I see culturally relevant people today - who uses Macs?

Does Woody Allen use a Mac? I'm pretty definite that he doesn't because I remember reading in his biography that he still writes his screenplays on a typewriter and then has a PA flunky reformat for production. But could Woody be an Apple man? I think he would be.


  • Mos Def or the Beastie Boys - pioneers in rap/hip-hop?

  • Robert Pirsig - existential author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

  • Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Neal Cassidy - The Beats were pre-personal computer, but they wouldn't have dared use a Windows PC?

  • Jim Morrison, frontman of The Doors


These are just some of the people I imagine doing their thing on the Apple system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home