Saturday, September 03, 2005

The Big Easy - Really Difficult

I feel exceptionally guilty because of my initially casual attitude towards what was going on in New Orleans. I've been working a lot lately and wasn't watching the news or reading the paper or checking out the internet news sites. Last night, Liz and I stayed up until 1am watching CNN's and MSNBC's coverage of New Orleans. I searched Google News and watched video of the dead bodies abandoned outside of the super dome.

It me feel very uneasy that while I sit very comfortably in my home there are people having to deal with an extreme situation. How would I be able to handle a situation like that? I thought of Sophia crying because she was thirsty and me not being able to provide any water. I thought about Liz being sick and me not being able to get her to a doctor. I thought about trying to keep my head when so much chaos is going on about me.

I think New Orleans may have run it's course. It's obvious that that town is never going to be the same again, but I question the further existence of the city. I don't think I would go back after this. I wouldn't want to go to the super dome because all I would think about is that it onced housed filth and crime and dead bodies stacked in the concession booths.

I read in the local paper (San Antonio Express News) that we are expecting thousands of citizens at Kelly USA. San Antonio is also going to use our closed down Levi Strauss factory to house another thousand or so families. We'll probably also use our convention center or Joe Freeman Coliseum.

News reports have focused on the fact that these survivors of Hurricane Katrina are getting on and off buses with nothing. I disagree. They are carrying a collection of experiences that could be a heavier burden than any physical item. These experiences will probably change the cities they inhabit for the coming months.

I'd like to help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home